Time until the next game at Benalmadena Polideportivo

Match report by Geoff

REDS ….3 versus BLACKS ….2

Due to late withdrawals the intended 11 aside match at the Polideportivo ended up 9 aside,  nevertheless both teams provided some exciting free flowing football in no small part due to John aka Fireman Sam officiating in a firm and fair manner.

The Reds took an early lead by Rory taking advantage of a quickly taken free kick to easily slot the ball into the back of the Blacks net.

This was followed by Bambi finishing off a superb free flowing passing movement for the Reds, albeit in all honesty he scuffed his goal bound shot which as you would expect he vehemently refuted.

2-0 to Reds.

The Reds easily had the better of the first session and thoroughly deserved their lead at the water break with their keeper Dave ‘M’ totally redundant.

Simon for the Blacks then went in goal after allegedly pulling a leg muscle, notwithstanding he admitted arriving 40 minutes before kick yet still failed to do any warm up exercises.

Second session began with an astute pass by the Crocodile from Dundee to Nigel who had a well hit shot saved by the previously unemployed Dave M in the Reds goal.

This was followed by the same Dave M making a sloppy pass thereby allowing Nigel for the Blacks to score the easiest of goals.


The Cab then restored the two goal lead for the Reds before Simon hit a low long range effort for the Blacks to make it 3-2.

Just before the end of the third session Dave ‘M’ in the Reds goal was fortunate not to have given away a penalty when he clearly stepped out of his  goal area which fortuitously for him went unnoticed by Fireman ‘Sam’

Try as they might the Blacks couldn’t level the score despite applying great pressure on the Reds defence  with Dave ‘M’ in the Reds goal making two excellent saves with his feet, the last of which from Keef was pretty special.

Final score 3-2 to Reds.

On the bar balcony afterwards Rory our wordsmith and star correspondent went on strike for better conditions in support of his colleagues in the Writers Guild of America refusing to write the match article, blissfully unaware that this strike ended on 27th September.

In conclusion it was good to receive a phone call from Steve Maugham who asked me to  pass on his best wishes to everyone particularly Keef, adding that he missed everyone at the Polideportivo and living in Spain greatly.