Todays report by our special correspondent Jim C .

A bright sunny morning for this six-a-side game up in the hills which ended up as an exciting 7 goal thriller.

The starting teams were as follows:-

Pink bibs

Ian G/K
Dave S
Tony W
Jim C

Blue bibs

Kevin – GK
Steve M
Dave C

Ian for the Pinks was carrying an injury from Sunday and in any case could only play for half an hour in goals before otherwise heading off to a dental appointment.

There was a heavy Scottish contingent in the Pink team with four out of their six players hailing from above the border. Indeed there was another Celt in the ranks too with Irishman Darren. The Blues were all-English apart from Johan from Sweden.

The early exchanges were even with Dave C Johan and John buzzing about the Pink goal and Joe, Dave S and Jim threatening up front at the other end.

Jim saw a snap-shot clip the post but it was John who got the scoring underway for the Blues, capitalising on a defensive error with an easy finish.

Joe in particular was finding shooting opportunities for the Pinks, running through from deep and hit the post no less than three times for the Pinks with Kevin helpless each time.

Ade and Steve were likewise trying their luck for the Blues with long-range efforts but none were on target. A deft flick from Joe next let Jim in for a great chance but Kevin made a fine save rushing from his goal to block.

However, it was the Blues who increased their lead with a lovely turn and finish from Johan, of which his Dutch namesake Cruyff would surely have been proud.

2-0 to the Blues then but they weren’t clear yet and Jim reduced the leeway by converting a neat lay-off from Dave with a right foot drive which Kevin just failed to keep out.

Half time arrived with Ian having to leave the field for his prior appointment which coincided soon afterwards with Johan pulling a muscle and also going off.
Down to 5-a-side then for the last 30, with Darren going in-goals for the Pinks but he was soon beaten by John who again had lots of room to ease his team further ahead.

Dave C and John were providing the Blues main threat in their opponents’ half but at the other end Dave S gave Jim a clear sight of goal only for him to hit the post when it was perhaps easier to score.

It took a set-piece to bring the Pinks back into the game when Tony burst onto a short free-kick and lashed the ball high into the net to bring it back to 3-2 for the Blues but the Pinks were soon punished for chasing the game, leaving too many players upfield so that a clearance from deep found John in the clear and he coolly did the rest to complete his hat-trick and restore the Blues’ two goal advantage.

But the Pinks weren’t finished yet and Dave S gave them hope with a lovely solo goal, beating his man and slotting the ball into the far corner across the goalie.

However, the Blues were able to run the game down from there and when the match stopped at 11, they had triumphed 4-3.

A good game with some nice goals, it’s to be hoped that the current unlucky run of players becoming injured stops soon and that players also don’t have to play through niggling injuries, as many seem to be doing at present.